Shipping a motorhome to Australia

Anything related to motorhoming not covered in any other forums.
Hex
NZMCA No: 0

Shipping a motorhome to Australia

Postby Hex » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi All,

I am currently finishing up on our Ford Transit motorhome (been building since January 2015 and now have had somewhat of a spanner thrown in the works. It seems my career maybe taking me to Melbourne, Australia. My job over there will require me to be mobile, so a motorhome is a must, but am I crazy in thinking I can ship my current van over to Oz, rather than sell it here and buy one there?

I have lived in Oz previously for years, so I have Drivers licences and Insurance etc...

It would be for 2+ years.

The van is a 2002 Ford Transit Jumbo.

I have looked over previous threads, but it seems they are rather dated. Should I be talking to Mainfreight or a Customs Agent?

Derb
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 43528

Re: Shipping a motorhome to Australia

Postby Derb » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:11 pm

Troll back through your old Motorhome magazines - I recall an article no so long ago regarding this very subject by a couple who had done just what you are wishing to do. Good Luck.
Derb. 2006 LC100 LTD 4.2 T/D 5 sp auto. 2014 Southern Star 720 and 1980 Zephette 340. 2 x 100 a/h AGM. 3 x 150w solar. Ctek D250S-Dual controller/MXS15 charger.172L fresh/grey. Diesel heat. RMD8555 fridge.

kiwibill

Postby kiwibill » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:32 am

If your van is diesel it might not meet the euro emission standards

vansvilla
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 17271

Postby vansvilla » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:56 pm

Think your biggest hurdle or stopping block may come from that when you take your M/h to Aus you pay a Carnet or deposit which you can loose if you don't take the vehicle out of the country within 12 months.
Cheers
John.
Duct tape is like "the Force", it has a dark side, it has a light side and it holds the universe together. nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in Duct tape.

oceanplay
NZMCA No: 62501

Postby oceanplay » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Taurus Logistics in ChCh will provide a free quote to ship your van. For import restrictions and information you could start with the Australian Customs webpage. Hope this helps.

kathyn2

Postby kathyn2 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:29 am

Or ring Australian customs and talk to a person, and ask them to refer you to appropriate forms. Often get a lot more info that way than from website for unusual circumstances, e.g. there may be differences in duties GST depending on how long you have owned vehicle in NZ.

Note have got friends who shifted from NZ 20 years ago, they have since shifted state - they said easier to change countries with vehicles than states! Good luck.

Teardrop

Postby Teardrop » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:11 am

Agree you need to talk with both NZ and Australian Customs. You may need to fully import into Australia as opposed to a temporary permit and this will have GST and possible duty ramifications. Not to mention whether you can actually do it because of issues such as emissions as already mentioned. The actual shipping will be the easy part.

Dene

Hex

Postby Hex » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:51 am

Hi all,

Just a quick update, I have spoken with Taurus Shipping regarding the shipment of my Ford Transit to Oz, for those that are wondering it is roughly $5500 NZD to get the van from Wellington to Brisbane. Obviously the prices vary but thats if you want a round about figure.

On top of that there are emissions testing that needs to be completed and various other Australian registration fees etc... but yes as stated previously, shipping is the easy part. :)

Return to “General Discussions”