Converting from 110v 60 hrz to NZ 240v

Converting from 110v 60 hrz to NZ 240v

Postby Bev&Terry DeJager » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:14 am

We kiwi's returning home soon, and want to bring our caravan with us - purchased in Canada.
Does anyone know how we would convert the electrical system for use in NZ??
Bev&Terry DeJager

Re: Converting from 110v 60 hrz to NZ 240v

Postby dougpryor » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi Bev & Terry,

For the wiring, as long as the wire has a suitable insulation voltage rating to use on 240V, then it will be able to be used again. Although I guess if it is US wire, the conductors may be black and white, instead of red and black. That shouldn't be a problem as white can be used as an active colour. There should also be an earth to each outlet I would guess? But if the insulation rating is less than 240V or if they are not 7 strand wires in the cables, it will all have to be re-wired.
You will need a new switchboard to comply with NZ wiring standards.
The re-wiring should be able to be re-done by any competent electrician. (Not a DIY job, although you can pull in new wires yourself, to save some labour cost).

As for your appliances etc, anything that works on the 115V will have to be converted to 240V. A 3 way fridge for example, might be able to have its 115V element changed to a 240V one, although once again, it depends on the wiring insulation voltage rating. You would have to check with the manufacturer. Other things like microwave for example, would probably have to be replaced.

It's really a matter of checking everything once you get here.

Doug
dougpryor

Postby ojf » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:01 pm

;) been down this track,we purcased a canadian import brand new(5th wheeler) the guy that imported it had to change all of the wireing and also fit kiwi plugs,the microwave also had to be ditched.fridge, another story but for ease we are running on gas and 110v through a step down transformer, the element can be changed to 240v, just havnt got around to it yet, even though it has passed 2 electrical wof,s, since it has been here., the nzmca inspectors are not really up to speed as yet as the govt keeps shifting the goal posts,good luck, remember the door is not on the correct side but is easy to live with.
ojf

Postby Bev&Terry DeJager » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks Doug, and OJF - both posts really helpful. Sounds like the conversion of the electrics is do-able.

We're looking forward to being back in godzone!

Next step is shipping!

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Bev&Terry DeJager

Postby markandirene » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:15 pm

Don't to forget when looking at step down transformer set ups, I think you will find that this is, if not already, to be outlawed.

Mark
Fiat Ducato Campervan with Briford Shuttle Trailer.
markandirene

Postby Nut17 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:03 pm

There are quite a few appliances designed to operate on 60Hz and 110 Volts The step down transformer will only drop the voltage from 230 down to 110 but the A/C frequency will remain at 50 Hz. The only device likely to operate without long term issues is an absorbtion type 3 way fridge. Anything that has a circuit board or electric motor will definitely have a shortened life span.

If the law in NZ is not already in place it soon will be which will prohibit the use of step down transformers operating 60Hz 110v appliances. On this basis I would build into your conversion costs the replacement of all mains powered appliances.

Cheers Chris
Cheers
Chris & Marg

NZMCA #15589
Jayco Club New Zealand Member
"ROUGHING IT" - YEAH RIGHT !!
Nut17
Supporter
Supporter

Postby fredalvrez » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:04 am

All Canada/USA 110v cabling has a paper-covered earth, so is not legal here and must be changed. Yes you have to run new cables, but depending on the rig not as bad as it sounds.

Apparantly it is legasl here to use a step-down transformer, as long as it can be contained within the unit it is powering. So for a fridge, if the transformer is only powering the fridge and it is 'within' the fridge (i.e. out of sight and not just sitting next to the power point) you can use one.
Yes I thought step-down transformers were illegal too (as far as having an electrical wof goes) but apparantly not.

As for all posts, please don't accept my post as a legal statement, get it checked out! :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NZMCA membership number 28011.
fredalvrez

Return to Electrical

• VISITORS