LPG Gas sensor

LPG Gas sensor

Postby Dukeman » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:11 pm

Can someone please tell what options there are for a LPG gas sensor.

The LPG gas system in the campervan works ok but it uses lots of hose clips etc which being an engineer I know are not fail safe, especially with age.

I plan to replace them all and check the hoses for wear but I would like to install a LPG gas sensor.

Obviously being a young family price is an issue so I would like to know others experiences with gas sensors etc and what is the best option.

Our campervan is a 1984 Mitsi Canter.... oldie but it has been given a new lease of life... still coming to terms how SLOW this thing goes. Only driven once and that was when I brought it a week ago. I got home hope out and laughed. This will be good for my patience...!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Dukeman

Re: LPG Gas sensor

Postby Amarlo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Hi,
As with smoke alarms gas sensors are rarely needed untill a crises crops up than afterwards people say (I wish I had ).
With a young family onboard and curuois fingers fit what you can afford they come in all shapes and sizes some with an auto gas cut out,
Also if you are refitting the gas lines and connections think about paying a gas fitter to test them for you,very few people have the right gear to do this !!
Hope you enjoy your new camper but safety is a paramount always,I have seen gas explosions and the aftermath it can cause and it aint pretty !
Regards Dave.
Why bother about trying to rake water uphill ?
Amarlo

Postby Holistic Palace » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:01 am

Our previous camper was a 87 Ford Trader. The rubber connections with the gas setup looked pretty bloody suspect. All the copper welds were checked & rubber pipes, hose tails & reg were replaced... for peace of mind, also looked like the job was needed.
Our controls to the oven & cooker, when shutting them off, if the knob wasn't truly in the "off" position
(out by say 2mm, where the knob drops into the lockable slot for shut off) the gas would leak slightly, just be careful with that.
Also has a battery powered gas detector installed (available in 12v)... a "must have" especially with those dodgy controls
http://www.rvworldstore.co.nz/lpg-gas-detector-atwood

The SLOW took ages to get used too, instead of dragging smoke from the exhaust pipe, you drag following road users instead ;)
Cheers... Heather & Rudy
Holistic Palace
Supporter
Supporter

Postby craig » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi Dukeman

There are a few LPG detector options. The ones on our website all require connection to the battery bank.
http://www.rvworldstore.co.nz/electrical/monitors

* The standard detector has 1 sensor built into the housing. As LPG is heavier than air, the unit needs to be mounted near the floor.

* BEP has a model which uses an external sensor. The sensor is connected to the unit via cable. These are great in larger motorhomes because you can have 2 sensors instead on just 1.

* BEP have another model which uses external sensors and can also control a gas solendoid. If the sensor(s) sniff gas, the unit will shut down the gas supply at the solenoid. With this model, the voltage supplied to the solenoid is dropped as soon as the solenoid valve is open. This reduces the power consumption of the solenoid well below the usual level.

* Atwood have just released a LPG detector with a built in carbon monoxide alarm.
craig

Postby vansvilla » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi, your question is a starter for a fireside or happy hour debate, there is no correct answer, merely a bunch of opinions, though i am sure that by matching all the tech specs of the different models then on paper, there may be a best one,
We have had an Atwood sensor fitted for the past 8 years and only hear it go off if the fly spray gets too close or my heel inadvertently rests on the test button.
Have a look around and get one that makes you feel secure irregardless of the price, it is after all, a form of insurance for you.
regards
John.
Cheers
John.
Duct tape is like "the Force", it has a dark side, it has a light side and it holds the universe together. nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in Duct tape.
vansvilla

Postby RaymonD » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:08 pm

[quote="vansvilla" or my heel inadvertently rests on the test button.
John.[/quote]

Surely you do test it on a regular basis, rather than relying on an inadvertent heel contact :shock:

Ray D.
RaymonD

1996 9 Metre Hino Rainbow RJ (RR1JJAA)
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination"
Albert Einstein
RaymonD
Supporter
Supporter

Postby vansvilla » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:52 am

Hi, but of course I do, I just make sure that wife is still asleep to make it a proper test.HaHa.

Cheers
John.
Cheers
John.
Duct tape is like "the Force", it has a dark side, it has a light side and it holds the universe together. nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in Duct tape.
vansvilla

Postby idex » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:38 am

We have a "Heiman" flammable gas detector which we bought 2-3 years ago off Trademe. I see the same model still for sale occasionally for about $80.

According to the specs. it triggers at 10% of the lowest explosion level. We have checked it's operation and found it will detect not only LPG but also hydrogen gas (from overcharging batteries), petrol fumes and butane. It even triggered when passing Whakarewarewa, so hydrogen sulphide must have set it off. It must be sensitive to methane too as even a good fart will set it off. We have been very happy with it as it even detected a pinhole leak in the automatic gas shut-off valve diaphragm which is fitted to the LPG cylinder in the gas locker and is supposedly sealed off from the van interior.

It came with clear instructions for installation, including positioning for best sensing of the type of inflammable gas expected.

We test it regularly using the test button and also by waving an unlit gas lighter near it .

I don't know how good the other gas detectors are, but if they're better than this one they must be bloody marvellous!
Jan & Bruce
idex
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Gas

• VISITORS