LPG Gas sensor

Re: LPG Gas sensor

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:33 am

Bruce
That sounds interesting. Do you know what sort of current it draws (when it's sniffing - not when it's alarming :) )?
Mark

admin@nzmotorhome.co.nz

Nostalgia: it's not what it used to be
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Dukeman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:23 pm

Great thanks for the info.
Dukeman

Postby idex » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi Mark,

Technical Specs. for the 'Heiman' are:

Operating Voltage: DC9-16V
Static Current: under 90mA
Alarm Current: under 100mA
Alarm level : 10% LEL
Alarm Indicator: red LED flash
Sensor Failure Indicator: yellow LED on & beeper long-buzz (auto detects sensor failure)
Sound Level : over 85dB /m
Operating Temp: -10 to +50degC
Environment Humidity: less than 95% RH (no condensation)
Alarm Output : relay output/sound & flash alarm
Outline Size: 115x72x41mm

For LPG sensing, should be fitted 0.3 - 1.0m from floor level and less than 1.5m from gas source
The alarm output switches can also connect with input switches of an alarm system if desired.

I think they are excellent value for the money!
Jan & Bruce
idex
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:40 am

Thanks for that, Bruce.
I'm surprised at the height range recommended. I had (sort of) planned to mount it in the kick space under a cupboard door, but that would be too low. I'm a bit alarmed ('scuse the pun) at the thought of the depth of LPG reaching 1m before being detected :shock:
Mark

admin@nzmotorhome.co.nz

Nostalgia: it's not what it used to be
Mark
Site Admin

Postby chip'n » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:18 am

We have a Kombialarm for LPg & Methane & plan on installing it as low as possible & like mark this will be on the toe kick. It recommend appox 200mm above floor for LPG & 150 -300 from ceiling for methane, it's only one unit so needs an additional sensor for the methane. dale
chip'n
Supporter
Supporter

Postby idex » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:53 am

Mark, I would be a bit wary of mounting the sensor too close to floor level as dust is more likely to enter the unit and affect it's operation or longevity. At 300mm above floor level and at a sensitivity of 10% LEL it should still detect any LPG leaks long before you could smell the gas or have any explosion risk. I think the sensor would also be prone to physical damage from toe-kicks, knocks from brooms or vacuum cleaner heads, etc if mounted where you intended.
Jan & Bruce
idex
Supporter
Supporter

Postby SteveC » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi guys..Im a little confused and concerned about the LEL levels you folk are quoting.
At 300mm above floor level and at a sensitivity of 10% LEL it should still detect any LPG leaks long before you could smell the gas or have any explosion risk

As far as I can find out, LPG has an explosive range of 1.5 % Lower Explosive Limit (LEL) – 9.5% Upper Explosive Limit (UEL) in air (inclusive of the specifications of both components) i.e. “from too lean to burn to too rich to burn.” The gas mix has a vapour density of 1.73 meaning that it is heavier than air and will collect in low places and flow over the ground with prevailing air currents.

http://www.envirocom.co.nz/ahrenewal/fi ... of_LPG.pdf
SteveC
Supporter
Supporter

Postby foggyred » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:27 pm

i would be more worried about a camper van with lots of hose clamps if it was me as they are illigal on gas installs
foggyred

PreviousNext

Return to Gas

• VISITORS