Earnings from International tourists - nzmotorhome.co.nz
Discussions about the risks of losing the right to freedom camp and how to counter these.
 #141657  by mattn
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:24 am
For a very long time I have been saying "Follow the money" when it comes to the problems of freedom camping. Here is proof what I have been saying - tourism and by extension, Freedom Camping, is being subsidized by the rate payers.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/104621 ... l-tourists

Summary - Goverment makes $2.6 Billion a year

Auckland - spent $40m more than it earned from tourists.
Southland District Council spent an estimated $1.2m to $1.5m more than it received in revenue which came mostly from levies paid on Milford Sound cruises and ferry tickets to Stewart Island.
Nelson City Council's deficit was the lowest at $600,000 to $700,000.

The smaller regions with no major businesses supporting tourism (Nelson has the Able Tasman businesses) (e.g. West coast, East Cape) have to be much worse off, especially if you consider the small size of the ratepayer base in many of these regions.
 #141660  by muffin
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:15 am
I went to one of Winston's pre-election meetings. He was campaigning for the Govt to return a much larger % of GST to the provinces.

Maybe he'll be promoting that in cabinet sometime soon... or maybe not. :-T
 #141722  by Derb
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:16 am
Of course it is - just follow the overseas "Freedom Campers" in their station-wagons/vans/cars around town or the supermarket. The local "Mom and Pop" businesses don't make a dime from these tourists. These tourists money is largely spent on the big-ticket items like whale-watchers, bungy jumping, Waitomo Caves,etc. Other spare money goes to petrol stations, garages and supermarkets. I know this is a generalization and will pi...ss a few people off but follow them around and see. We followed a heap of them around the West Coast a few years back and it was a real eye-opener. Yup, you do have the good ones who are a treat to camp alongside but god almighty you get some real shockers who simply don't respect our country and really "nickle and dime it" around - bathing in the public toilets or hopping over the fences of CP's to use the showers etc. I truly believe the NZ government are conning the rest of us taxpayers when they grab these "pie out of the sky" figures to impress us with the economic benefits of hosting these Freedom-Campers. Just like they conn us with the figures of how many overseas tourist are involved in accidents or do a runner without paying their fines or accident damage obligations. This should bring out the trolls :Y
 #141740  by Derb
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:09 pm
Good article. I don't hold much hope of the infrastructure in the South Island being any different to last time when we hit the road in a couple of years time down there. It will take a long time for the money to filter through to where it is most needed. Toilet Blocks with coin showers adjoined, Safe off-road parking close to toilet blocks, Dump-stations at reasonable distances apart and on the main roads (not tucked away in some obscure industrial areas or inaccessible back streets), 7 day a week rubbish dump sites. Get the basic stuff done 1st and herd the station wagon etc tourists into sites with the amenities they need. This will free up the "Freedom Camping" areas as we know them for us CSC local fellas :TU
 #141746  by Nut17
 Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:49 am
I fully agree with your comments Brian. Rather than ban or corral the slider / sleeper brigade, having overseas visitors fund the facilities to cater for them should keep the local rate payers and the NZ tax paying population happy.
Your assumption regarding dump stations is right on the nail with very little improvement over the last three years we have been travelling in The South Island.
 #141747  by vansvilla
 Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:28 am
Unfortunately what we think is needed is not what Councils think they need.
In one of the articles on this subject, DOC saw more money for pest eradication.
Queenstown Council got some money last year for tourism infrastructure and did something with Bus services.
Both of those can be said to be relevant to Tourism, just not in the way we would see it.
Pay with Paymate Express