Faster Wifi! - nzmotorhome.co.nz
Mobile internet, DVD, TV, SatNav, UHF/VHF etc
 #141726  by Nut17
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:53 am
What is the cost involved? Can we trade in our existing routers? I am wondering if it is necessary in my case as we do not generally have any speed issues except when reception is marginal.
 #141730  by NeilV
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:31 am
Since your cellular speed is increased also, I suspect that it also integrates Carrier Aggregation too (connects to more than one cell tower (if available) and uses the extra bandwidth to improve your speed.

While super cool technology... I doubt many motorhome users will even notice the difference between 40 and 100 MBs download as even the 10MBs my current (extreme edge of range) Skinny one does is fine for Full HD netflix on 2 streams concurrently.

When 4K streaming becomes the usual, I'd say these devices will really take off.... however, then the towers themselves will struggle, so we'll all be buying "5G" modems anyway?
 #141731  by petercw
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:49 am
Interestingly your article just made something click in my small brain (finally), and I switched my phone hotspot to 5g .. Bingo she much faster WiFi to my tablet, like wow.. most of the time my phone is only a few meters from the tablet so I expected it to be at it's best but not so, this is much faster as I have 5g on both.
Recommend people give it a go if using your phone as your wifi hotspot.. Just change it to 5g in the hotspot setting. :TU
 #141735  by hughstott
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:55 pm
Hi I gave them a ring and to upgrade they will charge you $200 plus a free month. By upgrading it doesn't alter your plan eg. you keep your after hours 50g.
Cheers
Hugh
Pay with Paymate Express