Sticky carpet - nzmotorhome.co.nz
Cooking, baking, cleaning, loo pongs etc
 #137740  by SCANESD&L
 Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:27 pm
We purchased an imported Swift Freestyle caravan several years ago.
The removable mats are of carpet about 1 cm long and have always been very hard to vacuum and feel damp, sticky and oily particularly along the fabric edging. This may be due to a residue from fumigation when being imported from UK. Now stains are appearing even though we have not spilt anything. We have checked the whole caravan out for leaks but can't find anything.
Any suggestions to help remedy our problem?

Thanks
ScanesD&L
 #137742  by Rocky
 Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:42 pm
If they are only 1cm long just throw them away.. :lol: :roll: :TU
 #137750  by mattn
 Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:42 pm
Hire a rug doctor, or a professional carpet cleaning service should be able to do it.
 #137753  by Roamnz
 Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 pm
Have you thought of going to your nearest carpet retailer and buying an inexpensive end piece of carpet, large enough to cut out new carpet mats? Very easy to cut with a Stanley knife or similar. Just use the old mats as a template. Most towns have an overlocking service for mats, your local carpet retailer may be able to recommend someone. I would opt for good quality nylon carpet over wool for your caravan.

When our new Sterling caravan ( built in the UK by Swift) arrived last year form the UK, it had very boring ‘beige’ carpet, I don’t ‘do’ beige! We used the nylon carpet offcuts in a more practical darker colour left over from our house build and did what I have described above, then out the original carpets into storage in the attic. We will have brand new original carpets to sell when ever we decide to upgrade this caravan.
Pay with Paymate Express