Anything related to motorhoming not covered in any other forums.
 #142672  by Gazza43
 Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 am
The saga of me getting a replacement tug continues. Some people have different ideas of what constitutes a vehicle in good condition and have been drawing a long bow when describing their one as that. Or unrealistic expectations of what their vehicle is worth considering its age or mileage, or both. So my last two missions have been failures.

Does anyone have experience with or comments on any of the following vehicles as tugs, please:
Nissan Terrano Regulus R3M 3L diesel
Volkswagen Touareg R5 DSL
SsangYong Rexton 2.7 Diesel
Hyundai Terracan CRDi

My budget is around $10K. I've found that Toyota vehicles around that figure are either in rough condition or have very high miles on. Pajeros seem to be getting to be similar in their pricing.

TIA.
 #142678  by BUSRSQ
 Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:06 pm
The Nissan with that engine has head issues, not personal experience, but one os a close friend
of those 4 listed the bottom 2 would be my pick, the Ssangyong marginally over the Hyundai ( Ssangyong have had an agreement with Mercedes Benz for years for engines and transmissions )
 #142704  by Derb
 Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:56 pm
With 10k to spend, you are into high mileage or dodgey stuff with common rail diesels. I think it would be unrealistic to expect to get a good common rail with reasonably low km in good nick for that money. On a good day you will likely get a good condition petrol vehicle for less than that money and the balance will buy a lot of fuel bill difference. My niece came to Uncle Brian for some sage advise on a tow vehicle for her horse float. She had the princely sum of 12k to find a good tug. she had also set her heart on a real nice Hyundai SUV diesel. 320k's. I told her she couldnt afford it. Buy a low km Fairmont wagon as shown on Trade-me for just over 5kk which will haul the small float well and will give you heaps of life and money to burn on petrol. Well now the Hyundai owes her over 20k all up and she has owned it for nearly a year and the vehicle has spent about 90% of that time in the shop.................................... :roll:
 #142707  by Gazza43
 Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:31 pm
Thanks for your comments and advice, BUSRSQ and Derb.
Think I am going to have to up my budget figure.
I have been shown a Dodge Nitro, but other than looking like a tank not sure what they are like.
 #142710  by Nut17
 Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:30 am
If the Dodge Nitro you are looking at has a diesel engine, it is a pretty good reliable unit. Made by VM Motori and is used across a wide range of Fiat / Chrysler and GM products - Including the current highly regarded Holden Colorado Range. The petrol ones are fitted with a good reliable 3.7 lt V6 but are not renowned for their economy. Expect to pay around $40.00 / 100 km when towing a 2000kg caravan. The diesel, including road user charges would be around $22.00 / 100 km.
 #142714  by Gazza43
 Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:27 am
Thanks, Chris. Seems the best one so far, even though I would have to lift my budget a bit.
 #142721  by mattn
 Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:51 pm
I sold a Holden Monterey(rebadged Bighorn) a year ago for $6K, it had 230k km on the clock and was very tidy, and reliable and well maintained (records back to new). However, the reason I sold was it was getting to the point it was going to start to cost money - nothing really big had happened, $50 here, $100 there... . The upgrade Tug cost $30K. I know I am not the only person to forget the $10k-$25k price bracket. I am sure there are some gems in there, but finding them amoungst the rough and taking a punt on a 200k km car thats $20k was too big a risk for me.

If you can find a good Bighorn/Monterey I highly recommend it

If the car is only being used as a Tug, petrol is the only choice. If its a daily driver as well, deisel might be cost effetive (but RUC at $660/10000km pretty much makes them break even.

4x4's will cost more - if you don't need a 4x4/SUV, as already suggested, consdier something cheaper.

Of the ones you listed, the rexton would be my first choice, because in that price bracket, everything else will be crap or have huge miles, however, if you wait, and can move quickly, you can pickup a good one of any of these are a good price. .
Pay with Paymate Express