Products and equipment BBQ's, recreational toys etc
 #165909  by ianganderton
 Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:29 am
FrankFrank wrote:I have a German ebike which is heavy but would probably get me to Leningrad.

The thing I discovered, after I bought it, is that it is speed limited to 30kmh. Which means that I am too slow for cars and too fast for the footpath. Where I live in Whangarei, on some of the down slope roads I can easy get to 50kmh but the bike offers real drag as soon as I go over 30kmh.

My understanding is that this is an EU requirement. It does not apply to Chinese or US bikes.

You can get a device that clips on your ebike to bypass this impediment but it voids your warranty and I am told that the later European bikes can actually sense when you are using one and record that fact.

You may be thinking that you'll never go over 30kmh buy you'd be surprised how often you will. So when you are in the bike shop make sure you ask if any of the bikes you are looking at are speed limited. If I had known then what I know now I would not have bought it, quality of not.

Hope this helps
Different jurisdictions have taken different approaches to defining the difference between power assisted bicycles and motorbikes. In New Zealand it’s the law that the motor is under 300W

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.nz/blog/post/9376/The-LAW/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #165920  by springheal
 Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:27 am
What nonsense FrankFrank.

Get a motorbike and be done with it as your reasoning is not valid at all in this country.
 #165939  by RaymonD
 Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:55 pm
FrankFrank wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:44 pm
Would you care to explain that Phil?
It's explained very well in the link above, did you not check it ??
 #165943  by mattn
 Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:01 am
Should be aware that to be road legal in New Zealand E-bikes are limited to 300W, many imported models exceed this limit. It seems to be largely ignored by the retailers, riders and Police at the moment.
 #165944  by Nut17
 Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 am
My previous E-Bike was a conventional low end Merida Mountain bike that I fitted a front wheel https://ecoquip.nz/product/bottle-batte ... s-battery/ The motor is rated at 300 watts and with the pedal assist set to maximum 5 I could manage to get 40 kph on the flat and had on occasion hit 60 kph on a down hill - exciting. The majority of our cycling on the local mostly flat cycleways is done on level 1 assist at an average of 20 kph. My new bike (Step thru style necessary due to my failed hip) is a Sinch Jaunt EZ1 and has a 300 watt centre pedal crank drive and is assisted to 32 kph and suits our requirements perfectly. https://sinchbikes.co.nz/collections/co ... -ez-1-grey Neither of our bikes have any speed limiting features, you simply have to rely solely on pedal power if you want to go faster than the electric assist provides.
 #165951  by donu
 Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:17 pm
Re power output allowed
an interesting fact I found when looking at my scooter - the regs state

Please note: the maximum possible wattage stated of the electric motor is not necessarily the same as the maximum power output of the e-scooter.

A theoretical upper limit to the maximum power output can be determined by multiplying the battery voltage by the controller’s maximum amperage output and the motors peak efficiency. For example, a 600W motor with a peak efficiency of 90% and a 12V battery with a controller that has a maximum output of 21amps creates a maximum controller power output of 252W. Also considering the motor efficiency the maximum power output is 227W, even though the motor alone has a potential output of 600W.

I must admit that I am not sure if this also applies to power assisted cycles - maybe some of the knowledgeable folks on here might be able to shine a light on it
Pay with Paymate Express